London 4th October 2016 – Chidozie Mgbemena was recently awarded a PhD in computer science from one of UK’s finest universities, Brunel University London. He is currently leading a tech start-up in Nigeria aiming to launch a couple of interesting products and services. SleekyNaija recently carried out an exclusive on this genius and he had some inspiring things to say. Enjoy!
Question: Explain how you would expect to spend your time on a typical day at work?
Chidozie Mgbemena: I try to focus on the day’s objectives. I relax by chatting with colleagues over a cup of tea/coffee, whilst we discuss ideas or share jokes.
Question: Could you mention 2 or 3 biggest challenges you encountered and how you handled them?
Response: Joggling my Ph.D. whilst I was a graduate teaching assistant for three undergraduate modules and a master’s module. I tried to make good use of my time as I knew I had so many responsibilities. I was organised and I was strict on myself in meeting deadlines.
Question: What would you say are your 3 major strengths, How did these strengths help you?
1) I like to think that I am organised (although I work towards getting better at this every day): This helped me finish my Ph.D. at the expected time.
2) I also like to think that I am ambitious. When I want something, I go for it. This attribute helped me start my Ph.D. in the first place, and I’m applying this strength to the tech startup that I am working with at this moment.
3) I also like to think that I am resilient. Giving up is never an option for me.
Question: What was the most creative or original thing you have done?
My publications and my Ph.D. (you can access copies my publications and Ph.D. thesis on my website- www.chidoziemgbemena.com
Question: What have been the major achievements you have achieved?
Chidozie Mgbemena: I’d say my degrees. Although I was never the smartest in class but I was able to achieve my degrees at relatively young stages in my life. I got into Uni at age 15 and I obtained my BSc at 19, MSc at 21 and Ph.D. at 26.
I am working on some interesting products with our tech startup at the moment. I promise to reveal some of our exciting products soon
Question: What are the qualities that make for a great doctor, in your opinion?
Chidozie Mgbemena: Resilience, hard work and self-confidence.
Question: Who has exercised the greatest influence on you, What did you learn from her/him?
Chidozie Mgbemena: My Dad. Lesson: With hard work and determination you can achieve anything in life.
Question: Describe your method of working.
Chidozie Mgbemena: I plan before I commence any work. I always have objectives for each day. I’m most productive in early hours of the day, so I try to start my day early.
Question: What is your definition of success?
Chidozie Mgbemena: Going for whatever you want and achieving it regardless of how many times you failed.
Question: Who has been the most important contribution to you?
Response: My family, close friends and Ph.D. Supervisor.
Question: What makes you upset or frustrated?
Chidozie Mgbemena: If things don’t go the way I planned. I see this as one of my weaknesses because another way might be a better way. I work on myself daily to make sure that I become the best version of me that I can be.
Question: What makes you feel happy or satisfied?
1) When things go as planned.
2) When I achieve my day’s objectives.
3) When I successfully complete something. This could be a simple task, project, or anything at all.
A bit personal- When I speak to my mum and when my dad gives me jokes on what’s app (;p)
Question: Describe your personality.
1) Blunt:- I say it how it is.
2) I can be stubborn – On a positive note, this attribute makes me achieve whatever I want. I like to see it as being courageous.
3) I’m a calm person.
4) I’m sociable and my friends think I’m funny (still wondering why they think so lol).
5) I can be very playful (sadly, only close friends get to see this side of me :p)
Question: How would your best friend describe you?
Chidozie Mgbemena: I asked my bestie to answer this question. So, this response is from my bestie.
Here you go:
Playful, funny, understanding, good listener, motivating, ambitious stubborn and blunt.
Question: If you had it to do over again, would you take the same path? ( Why/Why not?)
Chidozie Mgbemena: Yes. This path has taught me a lot about academia and life in general. I have also learnt to be resilient, courageous, hardworking and a lot more about myself and how to deal with people.
Question: How do you spend your leisure time?
1) Go out with friends and laugh as much as I can.
2) Take walks, runs and lift weights (;p)
Question: What do you want to be doing 5 years from now?
I understand it might not be a smooth road but I am willing and happy to deal with whatever challenges come with achieving these goals.
1) I hope to be running a successful consultancy/company.
2) I hope to have made more contributions to the body of knowledge (in forms of scholarly publication and so on).
3) I hope to have started a family.
4) I hope to have commenced my journey in making valuable contributions to the society.
Thank you for taking your time to read this post. Feel free to contact me if you have any question(s) for me.
My contact details are:
FB: Chidozie Mgbemena
Linkedin: Dr Chidozie Mgbemena